ECHOcommunity Resources in Spanish
- Organización: Hospitalito de Atitlán Spanish withTzutujil
- Ministerio de Salud Pública y Asistencia Social
- Organización: ODIM
- Organización: ODIM
Research - Posters
ECHO Technical Notes
General Technical Documents
- Four nutrient deficiencies--phosphorus, potassium, nitrogen, and magnesium--can be diagnosed by observing maize leaves. This document includes photos of a healthy maize leaf and of maize leaves demonstrating each of these nutrient deficiencies. It also contains suggestions for how to address each...
- Jack bean is an excellent plant for enriching soil, because it grows under very difficult conditions. However, the beans contain toxins that normally make them unsuitable for human consumption. This document describes how to germinate jack bean to remove the toxins and increase the beans’...
- In the Push-Pull system, crops that repel pests and/or attract pests’ predators are intercropped with maize, to ‘push’ pests away from the main crop. Plants that attract pests are planted around the field, to ‘pull’ pests away from the maize. Incorporating legumes in this system means that soil...
Haitian Network Documents
ECHO Asia Note Articles
- This article is from ECHO Asia Note # 31. Saving your own seeds can be a cost-effective way to access crop seed for future planting and to help maintain the planet’s plant biodiversity. Whether you plant your own saved seeds, give them away to friends and neighbors, or distribute them through...
ECHO Development Notes (EDN)
- 2019-01-20 RECETARIO WUQU’ KAWOQ Versión 2018-2019 Elaborado por: Valeria Morales. Spanish Only.
ECHO Latin America and Caribbean Notes (LACN)
ECHO Best Practice Notes
- 2014-01-20 5ta Edición revisada y ampliada Chile Organización de las Naciones Unidas para la Alimentación y la Agricultura Spanish Only.
ECHO Research Notes
- What are the benefits of school and community gardens? The students at the schools enjoy the benefits of the plants they have grown as they are provided with a nutritious lunch at school. Initially children only tend the plants at school, but within a short time-frame they can be provided with...
Plant Information Sheets
- Abelmoschus caillei originated and is now grown mostly in West and Central Africa, where it has become an important vegetable crop. This species of okra is particularly popular with subsistence farmers as it can produce a food crop year round, has a higher market value as it is available in the...
- Amaranthus spp. is an annual, erect herb (up to 1 m tall) grown for its edible leaves Leaves grow up to 8 cm in length and are present in an alternate arrangement along the stem. Small flowers are borne on slender spikes within inflorescences up to 12 cm long. Fruit are small, compressed,...
- Sugar apple is a drought-tolerant tree, growing to 6 m in height, and is the most widely grown of the Annonas. The sweet fruit is eaten fresh and can be used in beverages, ice cream and milkshakes.