2020 ECHO Asia Intro to Soil Science
This 4 part training gives a broad overview and introduction to some basic soil characteristics: phases (solid, liquid, gas), texture, density, structure, reaction (pH), plant-water relationships, organic matter, biology and nutrients.
After some classroom discussion we went head out to into the ECHO Farm where we looked at soil profiles with different soil horizons to point out textural, color, density, and structural differences. Participants practiced determining soil texture by feel.
Special thanks to Dr. Landon Darilek for giving thes presentations at the ECHO Asia Small Farm Resource Center in Chiang Mai, Thailand June-Sept 2020.
In addition to resources found here, Landon recommends the following resources as very helpful to this subject matter:
- Best Primer: Soil Science Simplified, by Eash, Sauer, O'Dell, and Odoi
- Best Overall Textbook: The Nature and Properties of Soils by Weil and Brady
- Best Soil Nutrition Book for Laymen: The Art of Balancing Soil Nutrients by McKibben
- Best Soil Fertility Textbook: Soil Fertility and Fertilizers by Havlin (this was a constant reference in my consultancy)
- Best Soil Biology Textbook: Soil Health, Soil Biology, Soilborne Diseases and Sustainable Agriculture by Stirling, Hayden, Pattison, and Stirling
- Timeless Classic: An Agricultural Testament by Sir Albert Howard