Resources Tagged: Garden Vegetables
38 items found (Showing 1 - 10) Next
- Tree tomatoes are small, half-woody, fast growing, brittle shallow-rooted trees reaching 10-18 ft (3-5.5 m) in height that are native to South American highlands. Argentine seed was first imported into the U. S. in 1913.
- The Greeks and Romans used Chinese broccoli as a vegetable 2500 years ago. Its origin is believed to be the Atlantic coastline of Europe and the Mediterranean though it is now cultivated widely in Australia.
- Okra originated in Southeast Asia but Abelmoschus caillei is now grown mostly in West and Central Africa, where it has become an important vegetable crop. This variety of okra is particularly popular with subsistence farmers as it can produce a food crop year round, has a higher market value as...
- Onion is a hardy biennial from southern parts of Russia and Iran. It was disseminated by the Indo-European peoples during their numerous migrations. Very ancient forms of Onion are still for sale in Middle Eastern markets.
- Also available in:
- Kreyòl Ayisyen
- This member of the onion family originated in Southeast Asia and has spread successfully to Europe and North America.
- Cucumbers probably originated in India and became popular in Greece and Italy. They are now grown worldwide both commercially and in home gardens. The fruit of this vegetable plant is thick, cylindrical, 25-37 cm (6-10 in) long, and shiny green. It can be eaten raw in salads, pickled or cooked in...
- Beets are a hardy, cool-season vegetable with edible leaves and a fleshy, deep red tap root.