It is rather extraordinary to think that one small seed can grow into a tree that will live for hundreds of years, reaching a size several metres in diameter. But seeds are delicate, as all farmers know. To maintain their potential to sprout, (or “viability”), seed must be collected, stored, and treated properly. Knowledge of a few simple steps can make you a skilled tree seed collector. Following these steps will ensure that your seeds germinate well, and that you will get the kinds of high quality trees you are seeking from your efforts and at no expense. By following the simple procedures suggested in this handbook, you will be surprised at how easy it is to be a successful nursery manager and tree farmer. In the handbook, these simply described and illustrated subjects are all you will need to know to become an expert:
- How to select good mother trees.
- Suitable time of seed collection.
- Proper seed collection techniques.
- Careful seed handling and extraction.
- Good packaging and storage.
- Effective pre-sowing treatment methods.
Chi tiết Ấn phẩm
- Nhà Xuất Bản: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
- Dewey Decimal: 634.9
- Thư viện ECHO: 634.9 FAO