The introduction of technology into developing communities around the world is closely tied to the everyday jobs of international aid workers, engineers, health professionals, social workers, and members of religious organizations. A majority of people involved with international development have a non-technical background. In addition, engineers have not been trained to consider societal implications of introducing new technologies into developing communities.
Appropriate Technology is written for both non-technical and technical students and professionals who are interested in or currently working in international and community development. The book presents a thorough coverage of the engineering design process as well as complete coverage of commonly used technological systems, processes, and devices. Of equal importance is the book's thorough coverage of the societal impact, political influence, and financial implications of introducing new systems and technologies.
Appropriate Technology provides interesting and challenging end-of-chapter projects and problems for self study. It teaches the non-engineer the principles and process of design, and encourages readers to create and design appropriate technologies for various situations.
* First book to present the fundamentals of the design of appropriate technologies with a strong emphasis on the social impact on the community
* Accessible to non-technical and technical professionals and students
* Thorough, understandable guide to the common technologies of solar, wind, and hydroelectric power
* Describes the use of specific tools such as bicycle-driven machines, pumps, and cook stoves, as well as processes such as aquaculture and agriculture
* Includes chapters such as Appropriate Technology in the Third World, Appropriate Technology in the United States, and a unique chapter, Culture and Women
* Challenges the reader with end-of-chapter projects and problems for self-study or classroom use
* Demonstrates the societal implications of technology
* Teaches principles of process of design
* Encourages readers to design appropriate technologies for different situations
* Includes interesting and challenging end-of-chapter projects and problems for self-study or for use in a classroom setting
Maelezo ya Uchapishaji
- Limechapishwa: 1999
- Mchapishaji: Academic Press
- ISBN-10: 0123351901
- ISBN-13: 9780123351906
- Dewey Decimal: 338.927
- Maktaba ya ECHO: 338.927 HAZ