This video is Session 2 part 1 of our ongoing training on "Introduction to Soil Science." This training gives a broad overview and introduction to some basic soil characteristics: phases (solid, liquid, gas), texture, density, structure, reaction (pH), plant-water relationships, organic matter, and nutrients.
Session 2 includes a quick review of Session 1 as well as a study on Soil Density, Soil Structure, and Soil Salinity.
Session 2 part 2 contains a field portion: We will look more at soil structure of our profile at the ECHO Asia Farm. We looked further at soil profiles with different soil horizons to point out textural, color, density, and structural differences.
Special thanks to Dr. Landon Darilek for giving this presentation at the ECHO Asia Small Farm Resource Center in Chiang Mai, Thailand on 10 July 2020.
Click here to see the PPT presentation
Video highlights include:
- 00:00 Introduction from Dr. Eduardo Sabio, ECHO Asia Regional Director
- 03:30 Further introduction and review from Session 1 from Dr. Landon Darilek
- 17:15 Discussion on Soil Density 31:00 Discussion on Soil Porosity
- 40:00 Activity with ECHO Asia staff and guests to calculate Soil Density
- 55:00 Alternate way to calculate density using a soil aggregate