EDN #158 Now Available
In this issue:
- Is Drip Irrigation Right for Me?
- Recap of Options for Storing Grains
- Echoes from our Network: Hermetic Sealing in Haiti
- From ECHO's Seed Bank: 'Starfighter' Lettuce
- Books, Websites, and Other Resources: Tool for Agroecology Performance Evaluation (TAPE)
Is Drip Irrigation Right for Me?
With water delivered through drip tape, drip irrigation is best suited for planting in rows. In low-resource contexts, or with irrigation kits, you will not have much choice in drip tape emitters. There may be only one spacing of emitters available. This could be a problem where farmers and gardeners are not accustomed to planting in rows or being constrained to uniform plant spacing. While drip irrigation conserves water, success requires consistency. The system needs to be regularly maintained and checked for leaks.