Food Chain Crisis - Locusts
- FAO operates a centralized Desert Locust Information Service (DLIS) within the Locust Group at FAO Headquarters, Rome, Italy that monitors the Desert Locust situation throughout the world.
- FAO provides information on the general locust situation to the global community and gives timely warnings and forecasts to those countries in danger of invasion.
- FAO prepares monthly bulletins and periodic updates summarizing the locust situation and forecasting migration and breeding on a country by country basis.
- FAO maintains historical locust archives that date back to the 1930s.
- FAO provides training, organizes technical workshops, and prepares publications on various aspects of locusts.
- FAO adapts the latest technologies and develops innovative tools for improved early warning.
- FAO undertakes field assessment missions and coordinates survey and control operations as well as assistance during locust plagues.