It is possible that the water repellent just described would be especially helpful for treating wood that is to be used in constructing bee hives. But be careful if you add toxic chemicals to turn it into a water-repellent preservative. Professor G.F. Townsend at the University of Guelph in Ontario, Canada wrote the following: "In tropical countries it is necessary to either use wood that is resistant to termites and ants, or to treat the wooden parts of the hive. If you wish to stay away from any of the wood preservatives, the equipment may be dipped in a very hot solution of paraffin wax (about 158 degrees C) for a two-minute period. Sometimes up to 50% rosin or some beeswax may be added to this mixture. This procedure is dangerous unless special equipment is devised for the dipping and heating. The only wood preservative which is relatively non-toxic to bees is copper naphthanate. ...If only paint is used, it should be an oil-base paint containing aluminum."