Rapid multiplication of plantain and banana using macro propagation techniques
Presented By: Kayode Murphy
Event: 2016 ECHO West Africa Forum: Ibadan, Nigeria (2016-04-12)
- Plantains and several banana varieties are mainly propagated through vegetative means. The slow rate of sucker multiplication is one of the major constraints to plantain production
- The usual process of sucker removal and transplanting has been observed to be inadequate and encourage infection and spread of nematode and weevils.
- To counteract these, rapid production of clean materials has become imperative.
- There are various methods of rapid sucker multiplication each of which has their advantages and limitations depending on the sucker type, field available and targets of sucker volume needed.
- The choice of which to use will however be on the operators.