System of Rice Intensification in Kenya: Lessons Learnt for Upscaling SRI in Africa
Africa’s Rice Deficit
- Demand for rice is increasing with growing populations, urbanization and changing culinary habits
- Africa rice production is about 26.4 million tons of paddy or 17.3 million tons of milled rice.
- Rice is grown in 38 African countries • But all the countries in Africa are net importers of rice
- Rice yields are low, less than 3 t/ha (potential can be up to 15 t/ha)
- Traditional agronomic practices also result in low productivity of rice.
- Water management poses major challenges (from scarcity to poor drainage)