Risorse Tagged: Pasture And Forage Legumes
35 items found (Showing 1 - 10) Next
- Tree lucerne is a fast-growing, nitrogen fixing, shrub or small tree. It produces high yields of palatable, nutritious fodder as well as shade for livestock. It can also be used for fuelwood, bee forage, and erosion control.
- Desmanthus is aperennial, nitrogen-fixing tropical shrub that can be used as a green manure/cover crop and as fodder for livestock. This shrub is adaptable to a range of environments and is tolerant of drought.
- Desmodium rensonii is an erect, nitrogen-fixing, perennial shrub. This species is one of the preferred plants for the SALT (Sloping Agricultural Land Technology) technique developed in the Philippines in the 1980’s. It is an excellent hedgerow and alley cropping plant that produces good amounts...
- Greenleaf desmodium is a vining, nitrogen-fixing, perennial legume adapted to tropical and sub-tropical climates. It is a good forage in mixed legume/grass pastures.
- Flemingia macrophylla is a perennial, deep-rooted, woody, nitrogen-fixing shrub up to 2.5 m in height. It is useful for shade, and for soil conservation and improvement as an alley crop, green manure, or cover crop.
- White clover is a low, spreading nitrogen-fixing perennial that provides nutritious forage and is usually grown in grass/legume pasture systems. It can also be used as a green manure or cover crop.
- Native to Europe or western Asia, Vicia villosa is suited to cooler climates. It is a viny legume with longsoft hairs on the stems and leaves. Branchingstems/vines are prostrate (30-70 cm), but can climb (up to 1-2 m) the stalks of any neighboring plants. Stems support long hanging groups of...
- Vigna unguiculata is a grain legume that originates in Africa. Attributes such as vine shape (climbing, prostrate, or semi-erect), seed color (shades of white, pink, brown, and black), and seed maturation time (60 to 240 days) vary with variety. Pods appear in V-shaped pairs.It is an important...